Long Island Youth Mentoring has been partnering in ministry with God’s Church to mentor at risk youth for a quarter century. The heart of the at risk mentoring ministry is seen in our Mission Statement.
The ministry to the fatherless and the orphan is a call from God that is cited 40 times in His Word. This call is to be fulfilled by His Church. So what is the ministry of Long Island Youth mentoring? To borrow a picture from World War II: We are the PT boats and the Church is the battleship. We can change direction quickly; moving to the needs as they present themselves, but we are also expendable. Our job is best understood in the following statements:
- We communicate God’s heart for the fatherless and orphan to the Church.
- We screen potential missionaries who feel the call to this mission field.
- We train Christians who are screened and called by God to be on this mission field.
- We supervise and support the mentors throughout their ministry.
- We stay in tune with what is working and what is not and we adapt our systems without sacrificing our mission.
To assist the Christian church on Long Island in the responsible evangelism of at risk youth and their families, providing them with hope through caring relationships and developmental opportunities for the whole person (spiritual, mental, physical, social).